‘Tis the season . . . to see how far we’ve come in the past 12 months! After all, we’ve certainly had some major experiences worth noting.
That’s why I always like to devote the last few weeks of the year to completing a Year-in-Review using our Annual Report template. I find this to be one of the most satisfying ways to wrap up and celebrate the year just past!
Try it yourself! Here’s your chance to document your accomplishments, plus learn a bit about yourself in the process.
- What were my big wins?
- What can I take away from my experiences, both good and bad, to continue to grow?
- As I faced challenges, did I gain more resolve, clarity and/or determination? How have I changed?
- What did I learn from a disappointment or failure? How can I help someone else going through a similar situation?
- Who really helped me, and if I didn’t show them enough appreciation, isn’t it the time to do so now?
As we know, Failure can be a great teacher. It’s important to look back on our mistakes so we can correct them, grow from them and move forward.
Download our Year-in-Review Tool
To help document your year-in-review, I hope you’ll download our complimentary Annual Report.
In fact, I recommend working on these PDFs together with your significant other and/or family. Even school-age children and young adults can take part. Not only will these personal inventories measure growth, I promise you that they’re a surefire way to increase your self-esteem and sense of pride. And who doesn’t need that?
Keep in mind, your Annual Report is highly personal. There’s no need to share it. However, you may wish to share several of your major accomplishments with us. At API, we’re interested in your progress, so it’s a great time of year to login to our website and update your Registered Professional profile. Tell us your current job title, location, education, training, certification, etc.
When you’re finished with your Report, feel free tell us in the comments below something that you did that’s worth celebrating!
And don’t forget, once you’ve said goodbye to the year that was, it’s time to make plans for the new one ahead! Check out our blog on goal setting.
This is your chance to document your accomplishments this past year and note what’s worthy.
Following are questions to ask yourself as you go through this self-reflective process:
- Did you complete a course?
- Finish a degree?
- Get a new title?
- Negotiate a raise?
- Earn a new type-rating?
- Lead a team or project?
- Speak at an industry conference?
- Train new hires?
- Purchase major new equipment?
- Complete a new safety rating?
- Mentor an up-and-comer?
- Work with your own mentor?
- Overcome barriers?
- Help your company save money, bring in revenue or both?
- Did you relocate?
- Buy a home?
- Start (or end) a relationship?
- Become a parent?
- Travel to a new country?
- Reach a reading goal?
- Launch a “side-hustle” business?
- Get in shape?
- Overcome a serious injury or illness?
- Take a month of vacation?
- Make amends?
- Gain a new perspective?
Whether you’re planning to change careers or stay where you are, please take some time to document what you did right. And, as well, pull up your resume, CV and LinkedIn pages and be sure that your dates, details, education, titles and work history are current. Then give yourself a big “high-five.”
These reports can prove to be very powerful—especially at your annual review and/or when you’re preparing for a next step. And sometimes these documents are the perfect means of giving ourselves a personal “pep-talk” regarding how far we’ve come.